Sunday, December 20, 2009

MOVIES OF 2009: THE GOOD, THE BAD & THE UGLY

2009 has been a year with some pretty good movies, I have to admit.

I finally got caught up with Harry Potter...I'm now eagerly anticipating Deathly Hallows. Regardless of my initial disapprovement, I saw Twillight AND New Moon, which wasn't particularly that good, but I can say that it will probably be like those series of movies that never really die and for some reason become classics. Like Lord of the Rings, and even Harry Potter, even though they cut parts of the stories to peices. If you want to talk pop culture, these are the sorts of movies you need to know, and I stand relatively firm on that.

I which there was some sort of movie log that I could write down all the movies I watch within a year. Then I could reflect and remember all the things that were either hilariously badly done, or incredibly good and inspiring. Twillight was hilarious in some parts. Let me just say that Edward does not look like he's made of diamonds and that their talks in the forest SHOULD be romantic, but it ends up looking like a parody.

THE GOOD
Star Trek owned. I don't really have to elaborate.

Watchmen will probably be considered a classic as well, along with movies like 300 and Kill Bill. These really strange movies, that you can interpret in so many ways because they're just weird, always get tons of attention. I still don't understand why there is a goat in 300. I did however find Silk Spectre II and Dr. Manhattan's sex scene really, really funny.

Wolverine wasn't as good as any of the Xmen movies, but it was still decent. There should be a "decent" category actually. A lot of the movies from 2009 would go in that category anyway. Can I just say to the whole Xmen movie franchise, that I think Psylocke should have had a much bigger role? It would have been nice to see Jubilee as well, although I can't say I'm sure that it would make sense with timelines.

I don't know how the rest of you will respond, but no one seemed to like Transformers 2. Well, I liked it! The graphics were incredible. The fight in the forest was just amazing. And I still want a Bumblebee of my very own.

Most recently, Law Abiding Citizen was a pretty kickass movie. Some would say kind of bloody, but I think the acting and storyline really makes up for it.


THE BAD
Duplicity was a pretty big let down. I usually love Julia Roberts' movies, but this was hard to follow and very lack luster. Perhaps it has something to do with my dislike for Clive Owen...

While we're on the romantic comedy topic, The Proposal was also a big let down. It was pretty cliche and you barely see character OR relationship development. It just sort of...happens. I don't know what happened to romantic comedy's this year, but I was really anticipating The Ugly Truth, and that sucked too.

Speaking of let-downs, what the hell happened with The Knowing?? It was going so well and then it ended. It would have done well if the ending wasn't so disappointing. I won't spoil it for any of you out there, because it's not something you expect until a good way into the movie (unless I'm just dense or something). Let me warn you that when you get there, you'll most likely swear.


THE UGLY
What was worse was Final Destination. Let me just say that by the end of this movie, I wished I had that part of my life back. It was ridiculous death sequences that people couldn't even enjoy if they were high. Not to mention the ending being a super cop out.

I know I mentioned in one of my video logs that when I'm studying, or just bustling around my room, I usually like to play some sort of movie or show in the background. If you're looking for something to just be background noise and not something you'd pay attention to, watch The Legend of Chun-Li. The casting was pretty crap. Kristen's "dancing" was crappier. Who told her that would be seductive (you need to see the club scene to know what I'm talking about)? The director, Andrzej Bartkowiak, will be happy to know that I thought this was still worth mentioning. Those who worked on Dragonball are not so fortunate.

It makes me really sad, but I have yet to see Benjamin Button, Angels and Demons, Up!, The Time Traveller's Wife, Paranormal Activity and a couple of new ones that came out recently. I think The Blind Side is going to be awesome, so I can't wait to see that. Along with Avatar and The Princess and the Frog. I miss Disney.

I also miss good romantic comedies. People need to stop making movies like Four Christmases. That movie just made me mad. No couple acts like that. No problem THAT BIG is ever fixed THAT FAST.

Obviously, it's safe to say that now that exams are over, there will be some serious movie marathons going on in my house. I've got my popcorn. Can't wait.

Happy Sunday,
Brown Girl Next Door

No comments:

Post a Comment