Sunday, January 31, 2010

AND THE MOMENTS WHERE THE GOOD TIMES START TO FADE

It's so hard to have criticism from every angle, even it it's constructive. I'm currently working on something that requires critique, after critique, after critique (what doesn't these days?). After a while, it makes you really downtrodden, even when you know you shouldn't feel that way. I've frowned, snapped, and raised my voice at the very people who were trying to help me. I'm still in the process of figuring out how not to get defensive when someone has something to add or suggest.

And then you'll find someone, after the 234,329,823rd response, who says something you're not expecting: that you've hit the nail on the head, and they have nothing else to add. That you've perfected what you've been slaving over for 120,472,034,823 hours. And wow, how good it will feel to hear it.

So, while I understand that the self-betterment process takes some time, and that it's a positive and revolutionary thing to receive suggestions left, right and centre, I compel you to say something nice to someone today.

Not the typical stuff, say something new. Say something that the person does not expect to hear. Tell them how much they excel at something, or at how they've mastered the art of looking gorgeous every day.

Because, seriously. I could go for some of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment